Call For Your Consultation

Hablamos Español and Nou pale Kreyol

954.289.9854 Hollywood Office
305.676.8634 Miami Office

Former Immigration Judge

Helping You Achieve the American Dream

Travel Documents for Non-Citizens

Any non-citizen living in the U.S. who wants to travel abroad should first consult an immigration attorney to determine whether such travel is advisable and whether a Travel Document should be obtained from USCIS.

Even when a Travel Document is obtained, the traveler needs to be aware that they will be subject to inspection when attempting to re-enter the U.S. and may be denied entry, even if they have a Travel Document, if an inspector at the point of entry determines that the person is inadmissible under the immigration laws.

There are three different Travel Documents which may be issued by USCIS, depending on the particular situation of the prospective traveler.

  1. Advance Parole
  2. Refugee Travel Document
  3. RE-Entry Permit

Advance Parole may be issued to persons who have pending applications for Adjustment of Status (I-485), or Asylum (I-589). If a person has either of these applications pending and travels without a Travel Document, the applications may be deemed abandoned and the person denied entry.

Refugee Travel Document is issued to a person who has refugee or asylum status, or who has obtained Permanent Residence through having been a Refugee or Asylee.

Re-Entry Permit Travel Document should be obtained by any Permanent Resident who intends to be outside the U.S. for one year or more.

*An application for any of these Travel Documents is made through the submission of Form I-131.

If you are making a trip abroad and want to make sure if you have the right documents for re-entry, contact the attorneys at Garcia, Miranda & Gonzalez-Rua today!

Helping You Achieve Your Immigration Goals

The Legal Experience & Insight You Deserve

At Garcia & Miranda, PA, we have more than 50 years of combined legal experience to our name. Our team is comprised of legal professionals who draw on unique backgrounds – including former experience as an immigration prosecutor, immigration judge, and Managing Attorney of the CLS. We have prevailed in some of the toughest immigration matters due to our creativity, patience, and genuine compassion. We are truly invested in the success of your case.